[SOLVED] Unable to compare drives?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
christiebun

[SOLVED] Unable to compare drives?

Post by christiebun »

I've two drives-- or rather one RAID1 mirror and an old non-RAID disk that (supposedly) is nearly identical. Every time I try to scan the both of them, I get: "Warning! These paths map to the same location or subfolder: please change to prevent false duplicates from being detected" and "E:\ -> L:\ L:\ -> E:\"

I've checked everything I can think of, drive ID, volumeID, disk label, etc. They're, obviously, on two separate SATA ports, they have different volume names, drive ID's, volume ID's, GUID's in the registry... there's nothing I can find that might be conflicting and throwing dupe cleaner off.... but it's still saying that. How does it determine two drive letters are pointing to the same drive; Is it something on the drive itself, some value in the registry (such as the GUID, or something else)?

Oh, and I tried removing the drive letters, rebooting, and putting new ones on the drives-- still no luck.

What can I do to fix this?
Last edited by christiebun on Sun May 27, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
christiebun

Re: Unable to compare drives?

Post by christiebun »

Found it! Apparently there's a partition serial#-- which is different from the drive's serial#, apparently, and the volume ID visible in windows.

That matched on both drives, and changing it-- once I found a program that could--- solved everything!
therube

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to compare drives?

Post by therube »

In days of old, our accounting software was keyed to either the network card MAC address or the disk volume serial number.
So if the card/drive went bad & had to be replaced, the license key no longer worked until you spoofed the address/number.
MAC you could do through device manager. Serial we did using (Sysinternals) VolumeID.