Google Drive File Stream

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
mariannevanharten

Google Drive File Stream

Post by mariannevanharten »

I am using Google Drive File Stream (the new product of Google instead of Google Drive) to store my files.
Now I want to check if there are duplicate files in two of my directories. When I press Start Scan an error message appears:

====
Warning! These paths map to the same location of subfolder:
please change to prevent false duplicates being detected.
====

The name of the paths are not the same. Only the names of the trailing part of the names are equal.

What can I do to check if there are duplicates?

Regards.
Guido van Harten
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Google Drive File Stream

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Can you screenshot or paste the path names? Are they both within the drive stream?
mariannevanharten

The warning I see tells me:

Warning! These paths map to the same location or subfolder:
please change to prevent false duplicates being detected.

G:\Mijn Drive\muziek\bundels\ -> G:\Drives van mijn team\Guido en Elja\muziek\bundels
G:\Drives van mijn team\Guido en Elja\muziek\bundels\ -> G:\Mijn Drive\muziek\bundels
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Thanks for the info -
Are you sure the folders aren't mapped to the same place? If you create a file on one, does it appear in the other?
mariannevanharten

Thank you for your update.
The folders are not mapped. On G:\Mijn Drive\ (My Drive) are some filenames which are also on G:\Drives van mijn team\ (Drives of my team). That are not the same files.
I want figure out which file is larger and/or older to delete one the pairs.

Hope you have sufficient information, but do not hesitate to contact me if it isn't.

Regards,
Guido
therube

Post by therube »

(Oh, just talking out my butt, cause I don't really know... In any case, I'm going to say...)

"Google Drive" (& I've never heard of this newer, "Stream", at all) is a "virtual" file system, entity, device ... whatever.
(Much like how Recycler or Recycle Bin is a "virtual" file system, directory ... "Raw" its nothing but a "regular" directory, with files in it. But as presented to the user, who interacts with it via the 'Recycle Bin' icon on his desktop, it's different.)

So what & how a user see's or interacts with "Google Drive" may very well be different from what a third party program that is unaware of "Google Drive" see's or interacts.

So if DC reports the two directories to be the same, even if you the user didn't physically "map" any drive (something like: net use \Mijn Drive\ \team\drive of my team\), the Google Drive "client software" that you have installed, may very well be doing just that (or something along those lines).

And in that respect, I would be hesitant in thinking that they are not one in the same, in assuming that you have "duplicates", because that might not be.

IOW, try to understand what Google Drive (MS's "Skydrive" or similar) are & how what can "appear" may or may not necessarily "be".
(And again, similar to "hard links" in Windows. If you scan "Windows" for "duplicates", you will find many, but much of Windows is actually hard links, & these "duplicates" are not something one would want to go about deleting.)

https://support.google.com/drive/answer ... ic=6069785
https://www.cloudwards.net/how-does-google-drive-work/
https://gsuite.google.com/learning-cent ... t-started/