Feature Request - Side-by-Side folder comparison

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
DrTechnical

Feature Request - Side-by-Side folder comparison

Post by DrTechnical »

I have accumulated MANY folders that I know have duplicate files.

Those folders may have been copied to another drive if I was going to re-format the original drive, or I may have wanted a quick backup of a drive or folder if I was getting ready to install some operating system update.

Utilities such as yours are great to find duplicates, but they all seem to lack a feature I would find VERY useful.

Once your program finds two files that are duplicates in different folders, I would LOVE the option to then display ALL duplicate files found in both of those selected folders side by side, with the option for me to SELECT ALL for one folder or the other to mark ALL DUPLICATE FILES in that folder to be deleted.

Without this option, I may have 200 files that are duplicates in the same 2 folders, but I will have to trudge through the original duplicates listing to find them all, especially if they have different extensions, sizes and/or dates...a very time-consuming process.

By being able to line up two folders in a side-by-side display showing all the duplicates common to both folders, I can quickly find and remove large numbers of duplicates from copied drives and folders.

Thanks for listening. And if this feature is already in your product but I seemed to have missed finding it, please let me know.
therube

Re: Feature Request - Side-by-Side folder comparison

Post by therube »

Could not find file MSBuild.ExtensionPack.BizTalk.dll
Do you have ZIP scanning enabled?
It appears to have to do with that.
Now if its a Win10 issue or DC issue, that I wouldn't know.
I’m running the 64-bit version of Windows 10 Professional.
And which particular build of that?
User01

Post by User01 »

DrTechnical wrote:Once your program finds two files that are duplicates in different folders, I would LOVE the option to then display ALL duplicate files found in both of those selected folders side by side, with the option for me to SELECT ALL for one folder or the other to mark ALL DUPLICATE FILES in that folder to be deleted.

Without this option, I may have 200 files that are duplicates in the same 2 folders, but I will have to trudge through the original duplicates listing to find them all, especially if they have different extensions, sizes and/or dates...a very time-consuming process.
I absolutely support this! This would improve Duplicate Cleaner a lot. It's veery tedious to go through the list. And yes you can choose to mark all the duplicates in a specific folder but it would be nice to have a side by side overview.

EDIT:
Okay the Duplicate folders tab is useful but it could be even more useful if it or another tab also showed which folders are containing duplicates. Then it would be easy to just mark this and that folder from a short list containing only those folders where duplicates are found. Yes you can do it through the rightclick menu in the file list but I would prefer a tab for this function.

Maybe the folderview could also show different colors depending on if all duplicates withing that folder is marker or only a part of them. In case you have worked with the file list first, then you can switch to the folder tab and notice that there is still one folder which hasn't got all duplicates marked. Maybe you want it that way or maybe not. In case not, then it's easy just to mark that folder in the folder view tab.
ALeXceL

Post by ALeXceL »

User01 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 am
DrTechnical wrote:Once your program finds two files that are duplicates in different folders, I would LOVE the option to then display ALL duplicate files found in both of those selected folders side by side, with the option for me to SELECT ALL for one folder or the other to mark ALL DUPLICATE FILES in that folder to be deleted.

I absolutely support this! This would improve Duplicate Cleaner a lot. It's veery tedious to go through the list. And yes you can choose to mark all the duplicates in a specific folder but it would be nice to have a side by side overview.

EDIT:
Okay the Duplicate folders tab is useful but it could be even more useful if it or another tab also showed which folders are containing duplicates. Then it would be easy to just mark this and that folder from a short list containing only those folders where duplicates are found. Yes you can do it through the rightclick menu in the file list but I would prefer a tab for this function.

Maybe the folderview could also show different colors depending on if all duplicates withing that folder is marker or only a part of them. In case you have worked with the file list first, then you can switch to the folder tab and notice that there is still one folder which hasn't got all duplicates marked. Maybe you want it that way or maybe not. In case not, then it's easy just to mark that folder in the folder view tab.
I would aprecciate these features in a near future release. I'm now doing it this way: exporting duplicate files to CSV, importing the CSV to Excel using Power Query, running code (VBA) to manage an Userform with 2 panels where I see (among other info) the folders (a & b) listed in wich are the two (or more) duplicated files. This way I can really view how big is my problem and minimize mistakes on deleting.