Unique files not unique

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
derekphil

Unique files not unique

Post by derekphil »

I have two directories that, after running a normal scan with everything set as default except "Scan against self" set to off and "Find Uniques" set to on, shows only unique files. However, I can see that there are a high number of image files (CR2) that are duplicated - same name, type, date, size and checksum based on a sample.

I must have missed something here - any suggestions?
derekphil

Re: Unique files not unique

Post by derekphil »

After some time playing around with settings, the problem seems to be if the "Find unique" setting is applied to both directories.

For example, if I have dirA and dirB and in both I have file1, and then file2 in dirA and file3 in dirB - that is one duplicate an one unique file in each dir. With find unique on for both dirs, all files are regarded as unique. With find unique turned off for either, duplicates are returned as are the unique for the selected folder.

My guess is that this is very much a bug and not a feature lads.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

If you want file1 returned correctly as a duplicate in your example you need to leave 'Scan against self' as 'Yes' for dirA

If 'Scan against self' is 'No' for a folder then any files in the folder are regarded as unique within that folder even if they are duplicates - this is probably the effect you are seeing.

This is a necessary feature for drive comparison to identify missing files, ignoring duplicates

Check the video here for drive comparison - it mentions the effect you are seeing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbYFB5w ... e=youtu.be
derekphil

Post by derekphil »

Not a bug then! :)

Thanks for the clarification.