Renaming Duplicates

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
waldoff

Renaming Duplicates

Post by waldoff »

Hi Guys,

I wanted to check if I can rename duplicates in a specific manner with Duplicate Cleaner Pro version 4.

I've run a scan to detect all duplicates files. Most duplicates have an extra (1), (2), (3), (4), next to them. Alternatively they may have a much shorter file name, than the master file.

Is it possible to delete all duplicates versions of a file, except one version which can be renamed? So that the renamed file would be:

Code: Select all

Master Version - [Original-File-Name].[file-extension]
Additionally would it be possible to pre-select files without (1), (2), (3), (4) or with a longer file name as the master variant?

Hope that makes sense, feel free to ask if more clarification is needed. I appreciate any help or replies.

Thanks,
Waldoff
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Renaming Duplicates

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can select the files in each group with longer names using the Selection Assistant (Longest file names in each group), and then you can Invert the selection ("Invert Selection") to just select the shortest one. Alternately there is also a Selection Assistant function called " 'Copy of' style names" which will also select just copies.

The file removal Window has a file renaming function - you can rename all marked files by adding a prefix or suffix. In your case it would be the prefix "Master Version".

More info here-
https://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual ... istant.htm
JoePhi

Post by JoePhi »

Hi.
I got a similar question - can I have Duplicate Cleaner Pro rename files with a squential index as a suffix?
(filename_001.jpg thru filename_###.jpg)?

My Background is media-server PC and the owner has pictures from a foto-safari .... with over 15k duplicate file names...!
obviously we do not want to erase anything - just get rid of all duplicate file names before starting to program his slide-show .... because duplicates will fuck up the show files later on tour ...

thank you in advance for any information!
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can't do that currently - though I'll look at adding it as a feature.

One workaround which may or may not be useful depending on how you want your folders structured is that if you use the File Removal->Copy feature to copy all the identically named files into a new folder then any collisions will be renamed.

e.g.

file1.doc
file1 - Copy.doc
file1 - Copy (2).doc
etc.