BUG report - long folder path and file name

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
ebackbone

BUG report - long folder path and file name

Post by ebackbone »

Hi,

There's a bug in the Duplicate Cleaner whereby if folders or filenames are long (usually 255 or more) characters, the scan will return zero results although there are valid files in the said folder that matches the criteria.

Now I understand that there's some limitations and trickery to handling long folder paths/filenames in Windows environment development but the false positive summary result is extremely dangerous and misleading for certain users. It would be helpful to at least receive a summary warning of the folders that are causing problems after scanning than to return the result of zero matches if this cannot be fixed in Duplicate Cleaner.

I'm using the latest version of Duplicate Cleaner Pro in Windows.

Thank you.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: BUG report - long folder path and file name

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can turn on long path support in More Options->Advanced settings.

I'm not sure how returning no result (ignoring files) can be dangerous, as the program will only delete files it knows about - it doesn't remove directories with other files in.
ebackbone

Re: BUG report - long folder path and file name

Post by ebackbone »

DigitalVolcano wrote:You can turn on long path support in More Options->Advanced settings.

I'm not sure how returning no result (ignoring files) can be dangerous, as the program will only delete files it knows about - it doesn't remove directories with other files in.
Hi there,

Can you at least make the option as default?

The reason why i feel that this is needed is because not all users will use the move files or delete files function via Duplicate Cleaner but using the product as a verification tool. For example in my use case, I was moving folders and file contents from one location to another and using Duplicate Cleaner to verify that the files are moved correctly. Because by default the files are ignored if it is long filename + path and if i exactly trusted 100% on the results I would not have noticed that there are remnant files still stuck in the previous source folder and would have deleted source folder from the root.