Bug: File Move Issues of Duplicates

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Groo

Bug: File Move Issues of Duplicates

Post by Groo »

Bug: Using the "Move or Copy files" option under "File Removal", there is an issue with moving large quantities of files causing the file system to do excessive IO, or outright hang the program.

Details:

Version: Duplicate cleaner 4.05 Pro.

Scenario:

I've done a comparison of 3 directories.

Within those 3 directories, I have 5 folder groups that are duplicates (each folder group containing 4 sets of identical directories)

I've selected 3 of those folder duplicates and clicked the remove file button.

I am choosing to move those files to a directory on the same disk, keeping the folder structure.. The total contents are 1004 files, of approximately 15.4mb in size (megabytes).

The move takes maybe 30 minutes, and does 1000's of mb's of disk IO, just for 15mb. If it do it with even larger folders, the program hangs forever.

Hard Disk: 6TB HGST Disk with 4TB free via Sata 6G.
Memory is 64GB.
Chipset: Z170 board
CPU: I7-6700K.
Drivers are all the latest available (in this case, Microsoft IO and Intel chipset).

Note: "Use windows shell" is checked for the delete portion. I 'm not sure if that effects the move or not.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Bug: File Move Issues of Duplicates

Post by DigitalVolcano »

That seems very slow for the amount of files you are moving. Moving 1000 files should take half a minute at most.

Is it possible that the system was downloading or installing Windows updates in the background? That can have an effect on move time. Permission issues can also affect move times - were there any errors?
Groo

Post by Groo »

No. I believe the issue to be a bug when the move operation is performed and you have the "use windows shell" box checked.

Please try it and see.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

I've tested and checked the code - that option only affects the delete.

Are you sure Windows isn't interrupting the move with an Overwrite or system file confirmation dialog? Sometimes these can get lost behind other windows.
You can stop this happening by checkmarking 'overwrite existing files' and 'Skip problem files'