Download Folder has thousands of same files

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
chironik

Download Folder has thousands of same files

Post by chironik »

Hello, over the years my download folder has accumulated thousands of the same files, usually when I have gone to DL a file, maybe I have clicked twice. Now the folder has many many duplicate files but w the same exact name and content. There is no added trailing digit to denote a different file name. When I run a scan for exact content Duplicate Cleaner is not identifying g most of the duplicates. Are there another search parameters I might use? Thank you.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Download Folder has thousands of same files

Post by DigitalVolcano »

If they are the same content it should identify them (Just use "Same Content" - don't use any other criteria such as name, size, date, etc). Also, make sure the 'Protect important system folders' option is turned off (options menu).

You may have different versions of files (e.g. newer installers, etc).

My experience is that if it is full of old installer executables is sometimes best to just delete all the contents of the download folder - you can always download again!
chironik

Post by chironik »

actually I think the issue here is how to filter w the selection assistant when the files are thee same. How does one distinguish they can be marked?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

If they are the same, and you don't mind which copy is removed, you can use 'All but one in each group'.

Always back up first!