PLEASE HELP DELETE THOUSANDS OF FILES

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
chironik

PLEASE HELP DELETE THOUSANDS OF FILES

Post by chironik »

Hello all, I need some serious help, my windows computer duplicated thousands of files and added a name (1) for example: text.doc (1) (versus original: text.doc) to the end of each duplicate file. However when I enter in the (1) to the search file filter and run a scan I get zero results. When I do not enter in the (1) I get thousands of results, but included in the results are the original non duplicated files. I would have to sit there and check every second box to select the duped file which would take hours. I cannot be the first user who simply wants to delete any duplicated file that has an (1) at the end of the filename. I think the (1) or (2) is so common to how windows duplicates files there must be a simple procedure but I have tried and tried and I have had no luck. Thank you so much~
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP DELETE THOUSANDS OF FILES

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Scan by exact content - Use the *.* filter (unless you want to restrict it to docs, then use *.doc)

You'll get duplicate groups containing the original and the copies.

You can then select the (1) (2) files, etc using the selection assistant. Several ways to do this:

Select by Text Pattern:
Enter (1), then (2), etc into the text box before marking.

Or,

Select 'Copy' type filenames

Or

Select Longest file name (in each group).

See which works for you.

Selection Assistant manual
https://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual ... =&sct=MjY4
chironik

Post by chironik »

Thank you so much,

So when you get thousands of results, is there a way to select all the results you want without having to check them all individually? I think they refer to that as "marking." How can you mark just the duplicates and non mark the originals for the delete process? Thanks again!
chironik

Post by chironik »

I think I just figured it out by doing what you suggested -- they were marked...
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Glad you sorted it. There's a tutorial video here on Marking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1_AoF ... oBh4CUPhXI