Search Imgs (in many folders) that are similar to few Imgs

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
eduardobedoya

Search Imgs (in many folders) that are similar to few Imgs

Post by eduardobedoya »

Hi, I've worked with img duplicated finders for years, I like particulary the ones that allows comparison between two galleries, meaning each img from the first gallery will be compared with every img in the second gallery but imgs within galleries will not be compared. And I saw on youtube that this software kinda has that feature.
I search for this cuz don't wan't to use the software to delete duplicated or similar photos but to search for references pictures (within my entire refence database) that are similar to a given reference picture.
Having to search manually folder by folder in my hole local database wich imgs could serve as references is daunting, I thought on a software that could help me with it, but it would have to add some crop features, cuz usually the references are similar, but the overall size of the img is very different, or the reference feature matchs but is located in a different coordinate of the img, or it's mirrowed or even slighly rotated.
I look for something like the Google Img Search feature, I guess this is easier to do in landpscapes pics, but it isn't in portraits or body parts due to the crop factor.
Hope this is not too wilde, perhaps it demands a totally new software, but I do perform this img search manually on the average basis, so I thought about throwing this idea and ask for your opinion.
Thanks Advanced.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Search Imgs (in many folders) that are similar to few Im

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You can set an input folder to 'Master' and then it will only find files in other folders which match the ones in the Master folder. This way you can use it to find images in a large amount of folders.

Combining this with Image Mode will allow you find rotated and similar images. It will also match ones that are slightly cropped.
eduardobedoya

Post by eduardobedoya »

Many thanks, I also saw in the tut video something called "max distance between (m)" could you please tell me what does it do?

I wanted to drop here this idea of finding all Imgs that contains the Master Img at some similarity degree but with the purpose of matching Reference Features within the Imgs regardless of the overall Imgs sizes cuz I think it's a slightly different concept that involves searching for a Reference Feature no matter its Size or Location or Rotation within the overall Img.
eg. lets say my Master folder contains only 400pixels x 400pixels imgs of "hands with the thumb up". A "Reference Features Finder" would find all Imgs that contain a "hand with the thumb up" even if this Feature is located as a detail within a far lager Img, no matter in which coordinates of the Img the Feature it located, or even if its mirrowed or slightly rotated. I'm sure this is a very wild suggestion that would demand far more computation, but nowdays, multi cores processors are cheaper, and all gadgets have face recognition, so I guess it's not really too wild to ask.

I trully believe this is far more usefull that searching by keywords on google imgs, since you really want a Reference Img that trully match your Master Img, I would happily leave the "Ref Feature Finder" search running in the background for hours so I can spare the daunting of doing it manually the same amount of time. You can literally spare the 1 hour an average person spent on google Imgs trying to find a usefull Img Reference.

Thanks Advanced.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Interesting idea - the program can't do this kind of image-within image search currently. It may be too far outside the scope of the tool, but would make a good separate app.

Max distance between (m=metres)
This allows you to group images by distance apart according to the geographic location tags embedded in the image. So, as well as a certain photo similarity you could add the safeguard "must have be less than one metre apart"

From the manual:
This option groups the images by geo-location, within a user specified radius. The location is taken from the image tags (Lattitude/Longitude). The image must contain location tags for this to work - this is supported by most modern cameras and smartphones if enabled.