Remove all folders with duplicate content?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Horsse

Remove all folders with duplicate content?

Post by Horsse »

I want to remove all of the folders having duplicate content (so which have only identical files by content and the same amount of files and - if available - only sub folders with identical contents). So if there is a single bit different I do not want a folder to be touched.

What is the best way to do it?

And how could I check / verify after having removed all of those folders if only those identical folders were removed?

After a scan this is shown:

Setttings:
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Remove all folders with duplicate content?

Post by DigitalVolcano »

After the scan you can view the Duplicate folders tab - this will show ALL copies of the folder. You can then pick which ones to delete using the checkbox or the Selection Assistant (right-click).

More info here-
https://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual ... =&sct=MjY5

Always back up first!
Horsse

Post by Horsse »

Thank you very much!
After the scan you can view the Duplicate folders tab - this will show ALL copies of the folder. You can then pick which ones to delete using the checkbox or the Selection Assistant (right-click).
And when a folder is shown as identical (by content) it definetely / 100 % is identical? Each single byte / bit is checked? So each file in the folder is checked by the complete content against the content of the files in the other folder? Means the entire content of a folder then is 100 % identical?

How could I copy a folder path to the clipboard in the duplicate folders tab?

I want folders to be shown as unequal (when comparing by content) when the amount of files is different, so when a 0 byte / zero size file is available (all of the other files are the same) in one of the folders and not in the other one I want the folders show to be unequal and not appearing in that duplicate folders tab. How could I do it?

The folder (its name is striked through) on top is shown to be equal but no file is marked to be deleted after clicking "All but one in all groups" in the context menu:
Why is it?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The folders in the duplicate folder groups are equal according to the criteria set in the scan. So, if you were ignoring certain file types or sizes then they are shown as equal according to your criteria, but may contain other files outside the scope of the scan. The deletion only removes files that are included in the scan however, so there isn't a chance of accidentally removing these outside files.

There isn't a 'Copy path name' option in the folder view, but you can select 'Show folder in Windows Explorer' and copy it from there.

I'm not sure why the files aren't showing as marked in that view. Are they marked in the main list? Have you tried refreshing the list?
Horsse

Post by Horsse »

I'm not sure why the files aren't showing as marked in that view. Are they marked in the main list? Have you tried refreshing the list?
I do not know anymore. Looks like a bug, doesn't it? How could one avoid such display?

And when a folder is shown as identical (by content) it definetely / 100 % is identical? Each single byte / bit is checked? So each file in the folder is checked by the complete content against the content of the files in the other folder? Means the entire content of a folder then is 100 % identical?

I want folders to be shown as unequal (when comparing by content) when the amount of files is different, so when a 0 byte / zero size file is available (all of the other files are the same) in one of the folders and not in the other one I want the folders show to be unequal and not appearing in that duplicate folders tab. How could I do it?