"leave existiing marks unchanged" behaviour

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
JWalkerMR

"leave existiing marks unchanged" behaviour

Post by JWalkerMR »

Hello,

the option "leave existiing marks unchanged" does not behave as expected. For example: there is a group with 2 files. I mark the first one, set option "leave existiing marks unchanged" and click "mark by group" -> "all but one file in each group" or click "mark by group" -> "only one file in each group". I would expect that nothing changes, because both conditions are already true. But the second file in group gets marked too, so all files in group are marked now.

I guess that's a bug, isn't it?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: "leave existiing marks unchanged" behaviour

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It's working as designed but I guess the description could be misleading.

It is marking 'All but one in group' it just happens that the file it is skipping (leaving unmarked) is already marked (and is not set to unmarked due to the 'Leave existing marks' option).

Most of the Selection Assistant actions ignore existing marks. They will simply overwrite, unchecking as needed). Perhaps a more useful option to add would be 'Leave marked groups unchanged' and then any groups which have been worked on are left alone.
JWalkerMR

Re: "leave existiing marks unchanged" behaviour

Post by JWalkerMR »

But: even if there are 3 files in group, I mark the first one, set option "leave existiing marks unchanged" and click "mark by group" -> "all but one file in each group" then all files in group get marked too. Even if the program ist designed just to ignore the marked files, this should not happen.