Lost songs on ITunes

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
lindsmatt

Lost songs on ITunes

Post by lindsmatt »

I just purchased Duplicate Cleaner and decided to try it out first by getting rid of some of my duplicate songs. I used the assistant and just marked one of the group of duplicates. I moved them to a folder on my external hard drive so I didn't delete them altogether. But now when I try to pull some of the songs up on ITunes it says that "the song can't be used because the original file can't be found". I've tried to retrieve the songs from the external drive but can't seem to do it. What I'd really like to do is undo what I did initially. Is that possible? Thank you.
therube

Re: Lost songs on ITunes

Post by therube »

Doesn't iTunes make some kind of (its) own index of where files are?
And if you moved (or deleted) any files - outside of iTunes, it would not be aware of those actions...

(That said, I know nothing of iTunes...)

And if you were to move the files back to their original location, does iTunes then see them?
Or if you told iTunes to "index" them at their new external drive location... ?
lindsmatt

Post by lindsmatt »

therube-That all sounds like legitimate advice, but I don't know how to move them back to Itunes or how to "index" them...
lindsmatt

Post by lindsmatt »

I'm really reluctant to do anything else with this software for fear that I'll screw something else up. I was hoping there was a contact number for support, but haven't located it yet. If anyone has that information, I would greatly appreciate it.