Dup finder freezes up as if it non licences

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
ulfber

Dup finder freezes up as if it non licences

Post by ulfber »

Upgraded to release 4.0.4 and my licenced version stops at the same number of scanned folders, and no there are more folders to scan.
I have removed the 4.0.4 and reinstalled it. No difference. still stops at the same place, same number scanned folders, almost the same number of files (2 -3 files out off 200.000 files).

It seems like this version thinks I dont have a licence key, which I do. But I can not enter when new release is installed.

It makes the useage of the software to limited for what I expect to do with it.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Ulf
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Dup finder freezes up as if it non licences

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It should still scan the same whether it is running in trial mode or not.
Does the scan end, or does it get stuck? It may carry on if left.

It's probably still licensed - you can check from the Help->Registration menu.
ulfber

Post by ulfber »

No it stops and the program is running my PC at a steady 14% CPU. I thought at one time it did some indexing but. Unless I end it from the task manager, it would run till end of time and never finish.

The registration screen shows the first 3 or 4 characters in my licence code, so it seems ok, but it really does not work.
However I can scan smaller chunks of folders and they finish just fine, but when scanning all across my MP3 collection it will not finish.

So I really dont know what to do. Please not that it used to work before 4.0.4. So something is not working for me, please help
Ulf
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Which scan mode are you using? Is is stopping while building the file list or comparing the duplicates? If you have a lot of mp3's in zip files in audio mode it may be slow because it has to decompress the files to read the tags while building the file list.
ulfber

Post by ulfber »

No zip files in any folder.
One Folder 746 GB
Containing 114166 Files 30.653 Folders

Scanning:
Audio Mode Match Audio tags is checked
Same artist
Same title
Scan gets stuck at about the same number of scanned files (little bit more than halfway)

I have a supposedly quite powerful desktop .

Thanks for engaging.
I am willing to offer volcano software to use team viewer or any other tool to see first hand, it stops about 9 minutes into the scan
Ulf
ulfber

Post by ulfber »

I missed your first Question. It is stuck in the Discovering files reading tags.
Could the program be hitting some files with really long filenames?

The program have now been stuck at the same spot, not doing anything no disc access at all, just running at 14% CPU
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Make sure that 'Count hard links in file' is turned off - this can slow down the scan.

Also, try the same scan in Standard mode - Same content. This will find exact duplicates and test to see whether it is crashing before it even reads the tag.
ulfber

Post by ulfber »

The Standard Mode were possible to complete the scan and finish to where I could stat my duplicate eliminations .
Thanks for the help and I still think ur product is great.

Again thanks