Error: database disk image is malformed

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
DanielS

Error: database disk image is malformed

Post by DanielS »

Hello,
I have a small problem with the program and do not know what to do with him at the start of the scan show me the error window and I can not continue working.
I do not feel that I had an external disk inoperable.
I have Win 64bit, and Duplicate Cleaner Pro.
Thank you for your help.
therube

Re: Error: database disk image is malformed

Post by therube »

Oh, only guessing, but...

Exit Duplicate Cleaner

Open %APPDATA%\DigitalVolcano\DuplicateCleaner
(%APPDATA% being a place like C:\Documents and Settings\therube\Application Data on XP, a bit different in Win7.)

Rename the file DuplicateCleanerPro.data to DuplicateCleanerPro.data.OLD
(Or named DuplicateCleaner.data in the free version.)

Start Duplicate Cleaner & see if it opens successfully.
(If the error persists, exit Duplicate Cleaner, delete the newly created DuplicateCleanerPro.data, & rename the .OLD back to DuplicateCleanerPro.data.)
z3driver

Post by z3driver »

The database is located in the following directory on Windows 7.
C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\DigitalVolcano\DuplicateCleaner\
dbague

Post by dbague »

I have typically database file bigger than 1TB, so when i get this error, i wonder if there would be a way to have a history of the database file (maybe just the previous one, and a diff patch) so that when one session render the database corrupt (i have no idea why i get this error, but suspect hardlinks play a role--i have a lot of home made symbolic links as well), i would have the option to go back to previous non-corrupt database.

scraping the entire database, is like going 24hour of crunching my hard-drives again or more.

could there be other modular aspects to the database, that could be loaded on demand, per some criteria such as physical drives present in query or not.

should i have started a new thread or topîc?

thanks
DPrentice

Post by DPrentice »

I am new to using Duplicate Cleaner. Things were going along very well until I got this error message ("Error setting up data source. Database disk image is malformed.")

How do I fix this?

I have a LOT of files that have already been scanned and identified as duplicates but I seem to be stuck at that point. Would it work to uninstall the program then download it again and start over?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Make sure you are running the latest version. Uninstalling and re-installing the program should reset the database and hopefully clear any problems.

More information on resetting here-
https://digvolsoft.freshdesk.com/suppor ... e-cleaner-
dbague

Post by dbague »

Hello, i using this thread to which i subscribe, to ask if there is a way before sending DC into a new scan to check for database corruption.
would there be a progression in corruption, or is it 0 or 1, corrupt or not. I am backing up the database very often, each time i scan a sizeable part of hard-drive. i may be tangential here, topic wise, because, the time it takes to scan everything, there is no minor corruption, the whole thing is toast.
not a complaint, a reminder, unless things have changed since last, i looked at this forum. (1 year, i think).
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

If you are worried you can always reset the database
See
https://www.duplicatecleaner.com/manual ... =&sct=MzQ5

The upcoming version 5 uses a fresh database for each scan, so there are no worries about any historic file corruption from crashes, etc.
dbague

Post by dbague »

I thought the database was a good idea. i just had to have backups, and be careful with hardlinks. after hardlinks, need to rescan.

i have not changed my machine for a few years, now, and their is time and heat avoided with that hash database.

the benefits are for too few, the trouble for too many?

looking forward the next iteration anyway. do you remember talks of running threads in parallel, often i may have a long haul job, but also i would like so short ones (sandbox, was a workaround, and might still be), but if you had a merging mechanism for the hash databases, they could be made modular, and joined when, needed, perhaps the software itself could have a database management helper module. wrong way, perhaps.

Good Bye.
Spire

Post by Spire »

DigitalVolcano wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 pm The upcoming version 5 uses a fresh database for each scan, so there are no worries about any historic file corruption from crashes, etc.
Please reconsider. I'm a relatively new user, but the persistent database has already saved me countless hours; I consider it to be one of Duplicate Cleaner's most essential features.