Delete Error: The parameter is incorrect

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
jdc2059

Delete Error: The parameter is incorrect

Post by jdc2059 »

Hello all,

I'm trying to remove some duplicate files. When deleting, I'm able to delete some, but not all. There are quite a few I cannot delete. I receive an error in the logfie for each file with "Delete Error: _______ : The parameter is incorrect." Any thoughts? These files are on a network drive, if that matters. I don't know what parameters are incorrect. Under options I have unchecked all the "protect" options, and I'm not trying to delete to recycle bin, just delete only. Can you think of what could be causing this. I am using Duplicate Cleaner Pro.

Thanks!
jdc2059
therube

Re: Delete Error: The parameter is incorrect

Post by therube »

What file system does the network drive use?

I wouldn't know specific to Duplicate Commander, but a couple of possibilities; CHKDSK related, so either (at least partially) messed up directory information or a hardware problem with the drive, or perhaps something like You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Can you paste a bit of the logfile entry for the error files here please? Perhaps there is something odd in the filename.
jdc2059

Post by jdc2059 »

Thanks all for the responses!

therube, I did not run a chkdsk but the drive I know is good and healthy. I did set permissions up to give full permissions to the drive, however that did not cause the error to go away. I posted a copy of the log file so that perhaps someone could verify that the name is not too long or there are not any weird characters in the name.

Delete Error: \\MTOLYMPUS\Files\Junk 0412\Backup 1011\Desktop\Documents\desktop.ini : The parameter is incorrect.

Delete Error: \\MTOLYMPUS\Files\Junk 0412\Backup 1011\Desktop\Music\desktop.ini : The parameter is incorrect.

Delete Error: \\MTOLYMPUS\Files\Junk 0412\Backup 1011\Desktop\Pictures\desktop.ini : The parameter is incorrect.

Thanks again!!!!
jdc2059
therube

Post by therube »

What kind of NAS?

Perhaps antivirus or automatic backup/sync service that is blocking things?
jdc2059

Post by jdc2059 »

therube,

It is a Synology Diskstation DS211j. I did try turning off my desktop's antivirus, and there is no antivirus turned on the NAS. I do have OneDrive turned off, and the NAS has no syncing service turned on. At this point I'm thinking about taking out the NAS drive and plugging it in my PC, and then modifying the checked duplicate files list to point to that drive, unless you have another idea why I can't modify the NAS files. I'm just thinking out loud, but maybe it has something to do with the directory path? The NAS network name is MTOLYMPUS, however when I go into the NAS, when it finds the files, it shows a path of volume1\Files. It may be worth noting that I have 2 drives in this NAS, and one replicates the other, in a RAID. Any other thoughts / questions?

Appreciate your support,
-Jeremy
jdc2059

Post by jdc2059 »

In case any one else runs into this, I figured it out. It's an issue with the Synology Diskstation and windows, not Duplicate Cleaner. Once I unchecked "enable SMB2" and "enable Large MTU" and did a restart, Duplicate Cleaner was able to delete files on my NAS again. Thanks again everyone for the troubleshooting help!

-jdc2059
therube

Post by therube »

jdc2059

Post by jdc2059 »

therube,

All I did was uncheck the box "enable Large MTU" and uncheck the box "enable SMB2" in my Synology Diskstation OS, not windows. Yes, the forum posting is the same thing I saw on Synolgoy's forums. Apparently there's no fix for it yet. Duplicate Cleaner now works, however it is painfully slow, likely because Large MTU is unchecked. I ran it all night and it only deleted a couple hundred files, and the file size total was less than a gig. Is it faster to delete, move, or rename, or does it matter? Is there any way I can make the process faster?

Thanks!
jdc2059
kpolleck

Post by kpolleck »

This seems to be a very old discussion (6 years old), but I had this problem today with my Synology DS120j. (Not directly related to DigitalVolcano.)

When using the Windows command line "dir", it shows "The parameter is incorrect" when trying to show the date for some directories.

When using Windows Explorer, no error message appeared, but the date was blank.

Checking into it further, these subdirectories were empty. My work-around was to create a file in those directories called "empty.txt."