Duplicate "... folders may contain other non-duplicate files"

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
David

Duplicate "... folders may contain other non-duplicate files"

Post by David »

When I click on the "Duplicate Folders" tab, at the bottom of the "Folder Group X" window, I see a warning "Note: Depending on your scan criteria and filters, these folders may contain other non-duplicate files."
Not sure what to make of that statement! I want to be confident that each folder listed in that Duplicate Folder Group is identical, so I can safely delete all but one of them.
Under what circumstances would two folders show up in the same Duplicate Folder Group and NOT have exactly identical contents, all the way down through all subfolders?
Is there anything I need to make sure to check/uncheck to make sure that every folder that shows up in the same Duplicate Folder Group contains exactly the same files, including all files in subfolders?

THANX! -- David
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate "... folders may contain other non-duplicate files"

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It just means that the folders are classed as duplicate according to the criteria you set in the scan.

So, if you are just scanning JPG files, two folders may be listed as being duplicates (they have the same JPG in each). Of course, there may be a PNG or a text file in just one of them, but it's outside the scope of the scan, so is ignored.

Note that marking and removing files from the folders using duplicate cleaner will not remove any of these other files outside the scope of the scan - it'll only remove files marked in the list.
David

Re: Duplicate "... folders may contain other non-duplicate files"

Post by David »

Thanks.
Since I had not selected any special file types, I can delete the folder and rest assured that nothing unique will be lost.
Nice touch about allowing me to search only for folders of duplicate JPGs, for example, and be able to delete the "folder", knowing that just the JPGs will be deleted, and other stuff in there won't.