Mark by location - bit confusing

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
Duplicate

Mark by location - bit confusing

Post by Duplicate »

Hi

First post and wanted to start by saying I have used the free version for years and love it. I have invested in a new PC and thought I would purchase the pro version in order to support the software etc.

Whenever I search for duplicates, using my excellent DC Free 3.2.7, I have the option, in the Selection Assistant, to Select by Location, and "Preserve the files in this path whilst selecting the files that duplicate them elsewhere". That does everything I need.

In DC Pro 4.0.5, selecting 'Mark by Location', I can enter the folder path but then have what seems to be two options

Mark all files that duplicate this folder tree elsewhere
Mark the files in this folder tree that have duplicates elsewhere

There are then tick boxes to
Also preserve (unmark) files in this folder
Also preserve (unmark) files elsewhere

It's been a long day at work, I'm probably not giving it the complete thought it deserves but I feel confused.

If I just want to preserve one main folder, let's say C:Folder and then remove every other file that is a duplicate of what is already in C:Folder (no matter the folder tree design), what should I select?

I love this software and only hope my silly feedback helps, it just seems a bit confusing - I'm still buying it though as its better than everything else.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Mark by location - bit confusing

Post by DigitalVolcano »

From the Mark by Location Window:

Folder Name: C:\Folder

Preserve all files in this folder = checkmarked.
Click on the "Mark all files that duplicate this folder tree elsewhere"->"Mark" button

The sequence as above should do the same as version 3.2.7
Duplicate

Re: Mark by location - bit confusing

Post by Duplicate »

Thanks, much appreciated