Focusing search to just one drive but scanning all

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
abrasion

Focusing search to just one drive but scanning all

Post by abrasion »

Hello,

What I'm after I'm 99% sure already exists but I don't know precisely what settings to choose to enable this.
I have 3 drives, M,N and P - 20TB of data.
I have duplicates across all drives, N: is full of duplicates of data on P: AND duplicates even on N: etc
Long story short.
I would like to scan ALL my disks for duplicates but ONLY display duplicates which are primarily on P:

Example
N:\Bob.DOC
N:\Duplicate\Bob.DOC

vs
N:\Dave.DOC
N:\Duplicate\Dave.DOC
P:\Dave.DOC
P:\Duplicate\Dave.DOC

I only particularly care about Dave.DOC - Bob.DOC I can deal with later.
Does this make sense? I assume it's a simple filtration option.

I want P: as a primary duplicate 'root' if it's a dupe but there's NOT a copy on P:, I don't care.
Anyone?
abrasion

Re: Focusing search to just one drive but scanning all

Post by abrasion »

I guess the best solution here at this point has been utilising the filtering options (which I can't find in the beta for 4.0)
It seems to be doing what I need, although I have come up with a couple of ideas as I use it.
therube

Post by therube »

4.0 has the concept of "Protected" (is that the old 'Scan Against Self' ?) & "Master Folders", but I'm just not sure if I've experimented with them yet to have a feel for what they do?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

In version 4.0, this can be achieved by setting P: as 'Master'.

Master = Only find files which duplicate the ones on this drive/folder
Protected = files in this drive/folder cannot be marked/deleted.
abrasion

Post by abrasion »

James,

I've really been playing with version 3 a lot more than I had previously and I gotta tell you, the filtering stuff is quite powerful, I had no damn idea.
Am I missing something or is the 'selection assistant' missing in V4? Because now that I know how to use it, for the love of god, don't ditch the thing, it's very very powerful, considering the..frankly 'obscure' mess I have.

I know this may be difficult to believe but my file system is probably a best test case scenario you'll find. I have thousands of duplicates, example a backup say of 50gb of my mobile phone, in N:\mess\blah\phone\apr and another copy in N:\mess\blah\blah blah from Mar and then another copy but it's ONLY the DCIM photos, then I'll have a random copy of the phone/sdcard/SCREENSHOT folder in a random directory, then I'll have the files I uploaded to the internet manually from the phone, but I copied to the desktop first, THEN months later cleaned my desktop and put it in N:\mess\junk\desktop from august\lol!
(This is quite seriously not a joke - it's that messy)

Plus attempts at copying files over one and other or .. well anyhow.

It's a MESS a REAL mess and the selection assistant is saving my butt here.

I *WOULD* really like the selection assistant but instead of being a SELECTION it's a filter only (can the program do that)
Right now I want to find all the .PNG and .JPG files on my drive which are a 99% visual match (I can do that easily) but ALSO only with (1) or (2) in the filename
I can do that but it will SELECT them :/ that's a worry, I just want to display all files with (1) in them, let me choose which one to tag.
(Does that make sense)

Sorry to partially branch from my original topic.
- S
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The selection assistant is there - you need to click on the 'user/assistant' symbol next to the duplicate list to show it. It should be shown by default but there is a bug in the first beta which hides it...