Deleting files on NAS very slow

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
jdc2059

Deleting files on NAS very slow

Post by jdc2059 »

Not sure if this is a duplicate cleaner thing, or a synology NAS thing, but deleting files from my synology NAS is painfully slow. Keep in mind I am simply deleting, not sending to recycle bin, as I've heard that tends to be slower. Is it also slower to delete files within zip files? I am doing quite a bit of that. However, I do have a pretty beefy machine. With all that in mind, how long should I expect it to take to delete about a thousand files? Right now it takes about a full day and a half. Do you think this has to do with the fact that I had to disable "Large MTU" on my synology diskstation in order for Duplicate Cleaner to delete files at all? (NOTE: I found this to be a Synology issue, of which they have no fix for at the moment) Would this cause the process to slow down this much? Or is this how long I should expect it to take? Suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

Also, thanks so much for the fast responses and support! This software overall has been great for me, despite some things that honestly I think aren't your issues. It makes me aware just how much crap I have on my drives!

Thanks again,
Jeremy
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Deleting files on NAS very slow

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The deletion speed (esp. on NAS) is something we are trying hard to improve for the next version. I'm not sure about the Synology MTU issue, but that does sound like a very long time for a thousand files! Hopefully they fix it soon.

Is renaming them any faster? You could rename with the suffix "_delete-me_" and then search for these in Windows explorer and remove that way. (It may not be faster, though it would be interesting to find out).
jdc2059

Re: Deleting files on NAS very slow

Post by jdc2059 »

DigitalVolcano,

I think I solved it. I digged a little more into the Synology issue, and on their site I found some more information on it. Turns out that you have to do more than just turn on "Large MTU" on the synology drive to get faster transmission rates. There is also a setting on your network adapter as well, and mine was set to "disabled" as default. Under Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > right-click > properties > configure > advanced tab > "jumbo packet" must be set to 9014 Bytes as well in order for Large MTU to work. After I did this, Duplicate Cleaner continued to delete files correctly, and much faster. Not crazy fast, but a lot faster than a day and a half. It now takes like less than an hour to delete a thousand files. Hope this helps others with similar issues with Synology Diskstations.

Thanks!
-Jeremy