tg free not searching files properly

Tool for Search and Replace across multiple files.
personperson

tg free not searching files properly

Post by personperson »

Text crawler is great but I just had a problem - it is not searching files properly
It only returns 16 files - but it is not showing a specific Word (or PDF) file that DOES have the word in

I am just searching for a single word and I do not have case or whole word ticked
I have 'replace' empty as I just want to do a search
File filter is either * or *.* but same results

I just upgraded to v3 and same issue
Any ideas?

Also I registered here before but lost my username - but I cannot enter just my email to get that username reminder - so I had to register again.
silentguy

Re: tg free not searching files properly

Post by silentguy »

I'm not associated with the program so I might be wrong, but both pdf and doc don't necessarily show words they contain in a plaintext view. New docx is actually a zip file, which means there is compression at work. PDF also does some weird stuff. TG does not parse the file, it just opens them. So a first step would be to just open the file in a text editor (or a hex editor or something) and look if the word you are looking for is there.
personperson

Post by personperson »

Oh.. blimey .. that's a bit of a disaster in terms of searching text
(the whole point is not to open 200 files to find a string!)
I suppose MSoft have it fixed so desktop search can index docx
Thanks
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

TextCrawler only officially supports plain/Unicode text files, not binary or compressed formats such as PDF, DOC or DOCX. You'll risk corrupting the files if you do replacements on these formats!