Select entire group?

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
brubro

Select entire group?

Post by brubro »

I have a couple of questions. I am spinning my wheels with this program and want to know:

- Can I batch select an entire numbered grouping and if so, how?

- Can I batch select files outside of the tools available, IE, manually by using something like control or shift + click, etc?

Thanks!
brubro

Re: Select entire group?

Post by brubro »

Anyone???

The issue, in case it matters, is due to an odd trait of a backup program that I used. It created a bunch of duplicates of a ton of files, all named the same except for a numerical code at the end in parenthesis. The program is having a hard time distinguishing these, and is grouping things based on this number. I cannot get the program to group things the way they need to be no matter what I try. I need to delete entire groups as they are all duplicates, except for one group, which would contain just one copy of the files that I want to keep.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

It sounds like you are finding duplicates by name - doesn't finding by content work better for this situation?

FYI you can select a group by right-clicking and selecting 'filter this group', then ctrl-a to select all, right click and then 'Mark all selected'
therube

Post by therube »

If you're able to separate one set of files into its own directory tree (call it "Source", for talking purposes), then scan the two trees (assuming all the dups are then in a secondary tree), you could then do something like 'Mark all files found in this folder tree' (that being Source), followed by an 'Invert Marked Files', which would leave all the files in Source alone, instead marking all the dups found in the other tree...

(DC 4, also has methods to "protect", say Source, set of files, to make things a bit safer. I'm on XP at the moment so can't really check to see just what it says.)