Duplicatedly Related

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
JR

Duplicatedly Related

Post by JR »

What a sweet program!

I think the present program might be able to address this problem but I can't figure out how:

I want to move all unique files (.mp3s) from Folder B to Folder A. I check Folders A & B for duplicates. There are 711 duplicates. I get [Properties] of folder B and find out there are 823 items in Folder B. In order to discover what the unique files are I have to click 711 times (instructing the program to either Move or Delete the duplicate Folder B files).

Is there a way to instruct the program to either:
a) automatically check all the boxes in any location that's returned duplicates.
b) list which files are NOT duplicates (I know this sounds like anathema)

I understand that, for simplicity sake, either of these options might be limited to two Scan Locations.
therube

Re: Duplicatedly Related

Post by therube »

(I'm assuming you don't have subdirectories under B: so moving files wouldn't cause a loss of directory structure, if that matter to you... Actually, I've never done a move so not sure off hand, it might even retain the directory structure during a move? Or not? Suppose the Help might say?)

There are various ways to select files in mass, like right-click a file, Mark -> Mark all files found in this folder (most likely would work in your situation).

Use the 'Move / Copy Files' (move, actually) option for File Removal & move all duplicate files from B: to somewhere else - B:\DUPS\ or to a C: folder - whatever works. (So long as the move to folder is on the same partition as B: a move, should suffice, & being a Move would be much quicker then some other method, say a Copy.)

Whatever is then left over in B: (outside of B:\DUPS\, if you used that) should be unique & you could then select those files, in mass, using Windows Explorer (or other file manager) to move to folder A:

You seemingly would have 711 duplicate files in B:\DUPS\, & 112 unique files left in B:\, that you'd want to move to folder A:.
therube

Post by therube »

See also, RFE: Invert Marked Files based on Filter:.
Sounds more complicated as I read it (again) & not sure it would work for you, but might?
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

A tab with 'Unique/other files' is due to arrive with version 4.0, as this has been a much requested feature!
JR

Post by JR »

When's 4.0 coming out....When's 4.0 coming out....When's 4.0 coming out....When's 4.0 coming out....When's 4.0 coming out....
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Version 4 is looking good but isn't ready yet. Towards the end of the year is a reasonable expectation!