How to Find Duplicates in Folders on Different HDDs

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
rabbit hutch

How to Find Duplicates in Folders on Different HDDs

Post by rabbit hutch »

Apparently I do not understand the paradigm used by Duplicate Cleaner Pro. Although I've not thoroughly read the User Manual, the topic headings did not lead me to answers to my questions or suggest actions to take; therefore I'm posting here.

I have managed to create folders on 2 different hard drives containing files related to iTunes. I want to concatenate the folders and delete one of the folders so that at the end I will have all iTunes files on a single HDD with appropriate pathnames and folders. Can I identify duplicates by specifying the two folders' pathnames and have DCP show me the duplicates with appropriate creation and modification date information that will allow me to choose the ones I want to keep and the ones I want to delete? Will CDP perform the concatenation under filters and rules or must I do it by manually moving files until they are all together under a single pathname?

If this topic is covered elsewhere, please point me to the source and I will try to absorb it and come back with any question that remain unanswered.

TIA
therube

Re: How to Find Duplicates in Folders on Different HDDs

Post by therube »

Duplicate Cleaner is a duplicate file finder.

It can find (& remove) duplicates between your two directories based on your search criteria.

It does not & is not made to merge, sync, concatenate.

I don't know iTunes (music ?) directory structures, but once the dups are removed, it could be as simple as copying whatever is left from one to the other?
SooGowers

Re: How to Find Duplicates in Folders on Different HDDs

Post by SooGowers »

After finding those duplicate files, you can delete them easily using Duplicate Cleaner. It works fast and really good to use. I’ve been using these and it’s very reliable.