Network Shares Not Visible

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
joshthegeek

Network Shares Not Visible

Post by joshthegeek »

I have a Buffalo LinkStation 420 NAS that my wife and I use to backup our computers and store our shared files (music, photos, etc.). It is connected directly to a Cisco/Linksys router via a 1Gbps Ethernet connection.

I am able to see the NAS shares on my computer both by using their UNC paths and by mapping drive letters. However, DC does not see the shares and if I enter a mapped drive letter or UNC path in the folders field, DC says it cannot find the share.

How can I scan the NAS shares for duplicate files? I know we have duplicate files eating up a lot of our NAS disk space and that's the primary reason I want to use DC.

I am on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit computer running DC 3.2.4.

Is this a limitation of the free, personal use version? Do I need to purchase the Pro version to see the network shares?

Thanks in advance.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Network Shares Not Visible

Post by DigitalVolcano »

You should be able to see the shares in DC Free. Have you tried pasting the path manually ('Enter folder name manually' button), or browsing to the path using the 'Select folder' button? This last invokes Windows own path browser window.
joshthegeek

Re: Network Shares Not Visible

Post by joshthegeek »

I did try typing in the UNC paths and drive letters and copying/pasting the UNC paths. I also tried browsing to the desired directory. None of my efforts were successful.

The mapped drive letters were not listed when I browsed for the folder. When I tried to type the UNC path and copy/paste the UNC path, I received an error message. I do not recall the exact error at this time, but it had to do with the directory not being accessible. Despite the message saying the directory was not accessible, I could browse the directory both via its mapped drive letter and its UNC path using Windows File Explorer.

That said, it appears the problem mysteriously went away.

When I tried again today, the mapped drive letters were accessible when I browsed to select the folder. I was so happy that worked, I started a duplicate check immediately using the mapped drive letter and did not try using a UNC path.