No more missing photos, thanks tech support

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
AnnaCat

No more missing photos, thanks tech support

Post by AnnaCat »

Just wanted to thank the support staff for helping my husband and I with our very big problem. A couple of days ago we purchased Duplicate Cleaner Pro. Almost all of our photos taken over the last 10 years and scans of older photos were on an external hard drive connected to my computer in our home network through a router.
I was so excited about eliminating the quantities of duplicates that I didn't follow my own protocol. I didn't have this big drive completely backed up and I didn't batch test the new software. Things went horribly wrong. The scan saw 30,000 files. The entire drive went blank, so we thought, and not just the photos, all the documents also.
I was the one who wanted this program and I thought I lost years of memories. My husband took this rather well, I was a weepy sack of sad. One sleepless night later we got your response to my husband's email.
This program does not delete files, we were told. After rebooting the router and the external hard drive, the photos were back and everything else on the hard drive. We were terrified to try this because we had some data left. A slow scan through the router was blamed on the problem, it took 3 hours.
I am anxiously waiting for my husband to back up everything onto a new hard drive so I can run Duplicate Cleaner with the hard drive connected directly. This time on folders, not on the whole library.
Thank you again,
The Shipleys
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: No more missing photos, thanks tech support

Post by DigitalVolcano »

No problem - glad your data wasn't missing!

That's the thing about NAS drives - sometimes your files don't appear due to network conditions or syncronisation issues. Duplicate Cleaner doesn't remove any files unless you ask it to (with confirmations), so I was sure deleted files weren't the problem. It's always good advice to back up before doing anything though!