Highlighted File Selection Lost After Sort

The best solution for finding and removing duplicate files.
al_m

Highlighted File Selection Lost After Sort

Post by al_m »

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature to add...

I have just updated to 3.1.5 free and have noted that if a file has been highlighted, then a sort is performed, after the sort, a different file is now highlighted. One would expect that the file that is highlighted remains highlighted after the sort. I thought a previous version of Duplicate Cleaner did this?

As an example:
Currently, having run a scan, I have sorted by path to see how many duplicates are in a particular folder. I see file"abc.xyz" and want to know where else this file resides. In theory I should be able to click on abc.xyz to highlight it, sort by FileName, and then I would automatically be moved to view my selected abc.xyz file now next to its duplicates. What I think is happening is that the highlight remains on a particular row rather with the particular file (i.e. if the file in 10th position in the list is highlighted, after a sort occurs, the file in 10th position is again highlighted, even though it is a completely different file).

An example of how one would expect it to work is as per Windows Explorer... I can select a file in a directory, then re-sort the directory contents by date or by size, and after the sort, the file that had been selected still remains selected, so I can now see that same file highlighted even though the file is in a different position in the list.

I'm quite keen to by the pro version, but I would like it if the the highlighted file remained highlighted after a sort.

Thanks,
Al
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Re: Highlighted File Selection Lost After Sort

Post by DigitalVolcano »

Thanks for reporting this - I've confirmed it as a bug. The highlights aren't removed (or updated) after sorting.
This behavior will be fixed in the next update.
al_m

Post by al_m »

I purchased Duplicate Cleaner Pro mid last year partly due to the expectation that this bug (below) would be resolved - but it has not. Unfortunately I haven't made any real use of it because of a couple of bugs which limit the use of the program for my purposes.
Firstly, the issue that I noted below mid last year. I have downloaded the various updates (current version is 3.2.4), yet the issue whereby the highlighted item loses selection on sort.

Secondly, there was a significant issue with the managing of long file/folder names causing the program to effective crash out of a process. It made a complete mess of my folders with partially culled files and folders left scatter amongst a particularly complicated directory structure I was trying to tidy. I would expect that rather than just crashing out partway through the process, as part of the initial scan, the program would have identified any problematic long file/folder names and brought up a notification BEFORE it started the process of moving or deleting files.

In short, thus far I am VERY disappointed in the software as I have wasted many hours in trying to resolve/work around these issues.

Can you please confirm when the 'highlighted sorting' issue is to be resolved, and if the long file/folder issue is 100% resolved.
DigitalVolcano
Site Admin

Post by DigitalVolcano »

The sorting selection bug was semi-addressed in 3.1.6 - it the selection is now cleared upon sort to avoid the wrong rows being selected and the confusion that could cause.
A full fix for this is scheduled for v3.2.5.

There was a fix in v3.2.2 for moving/copying long path names - I think this may be the issue you had. As it stands, support in the Windows operating system for long path names is patchy, and not all underlying functions support these fully.